Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Sad Tale of Gobelin.

There once was a man with the surname Gobelin. He lived in a quaint home in a quaint neighborhood. He was a good guy, and he enjoyed many things. His greatest hobby was drawing simple pictures of goblins in odd places around town, and label them with the phrase "Goblin!" It was his way of spreading peace and love.

The neighbors did not like Gobelin's goodness. They made many nasty rumors pertaining to his innocent drawings

"I found a goblin spray-painted on my driveway!"

"That's nothing, I found one drawn on my mailbox!"

"Why, the other day I found one drawn on a seat in my car!"

"I found one drawn in crayon on my bedroom wall, Gobelin must have snuck into my house!"

"Gobelin has gone mad with power! He must be stopped"

"I agree, I even think that he might be a goblin himself"

"Of course he's a Gobelin, that's his last name, isn't it?

"Well yes, but I mean a goblin as in those creatures he draws"

"Of course he's one, just listen to his name it sounds exactly like 'goblin.' He must be a spy sent by the goblins to draw a bunch of pictures of goblins so he can animate them and turn them against humanity. He must be stopped!"

"That makes perfect sense"

"That's the most true thing I've heard all day!"

"Well then, fellow neighbors, I decree that we shall arrive at Gobelins house and slay him for the good of humanity, a goblin has no right in our quaint neighborhood!"

Thus ended the life like of Gobelin. But his legacy was not done. People discovered his drawings and adopted them. The tirelessly drew the goblins wherever they went to spread the message of peace and love. And everywhere they went opposition followed. Many goblin drawers were persecuted and killed because they were accused of being goblins. Society wasn't ready for such goodness.
______________
This post is an installment in a continuing series of content coordinated by theme or motif with posts from Enoch Allred of Chiltingham, Jon Fairbanks of Funkadelic Freestylings of Another Sort, Eli Z. McCormick and Miriam Allred of Modern Revelation!, John D. Moore of Whatnot Studios, Joseph Schlegel of Sour Mayonnaise, Sven Patrick Svensson of Sadness? Euphoria?, William C. Stewart of Chide, Chode, Chidden, and WiL Whitlark of The Real McJesus. This week's theme: 'Superstition'.

3 comments:

Miriam said...

Society is rarely ready for such goodness.

Yarjka said...

I heard there's a community of Goblin drawers not too far away, where they live in relative peace. Ultimately, they're very sad, since they can't spread the message to society as a whole. Someday, society will accept their message, but not yet.

John D. Moore said...

I will be more cynical than those who came before and suggest that society will in fact never be ready for their message.